Oct 25, 2010

No Art School. Ever.


You heard me rightly.

So I kind of made the most important decision of my life. I'd been thinking about it for at least a year, but kept swirling it around my head just so I wouldn't rush to conclusions or make up my mind too quickly.

For the last three years, I've wanted to attend art school after I graduated. This will not be happening anymore. Why? I realized I want to be a Psychologist. Like, a clinical psychologist. A therapist, essentially.
I think this will work so much better for me than being an artist ever would. For one, art has a way of stressing me out. A lot of people would say this is ironic. Whatever. I just feel so pressured to work on my art, and if I don't improve, then shame on me, I am a horrible person. It used to be fun, sure, but that was when I was a retarded 14-year-old weeaboo who knew nothing about art other than pseudo-anime drawings with disgusting bodies and proportions. Now it's just "You have to keep up the good work and produce nothing but masterpieces forever." Even if I continue improving with my artwork, I will never be good enough for my own standards. It's just too much pressure. I'll collapse if I keep this up.

So I've done the research and gotten the information. I'll start applying to schools in a matter of days, and I'll put Psychology as my projected major. I realize I'll end up spending 7 years in college (along with all the financial costs of said college X_x), but I strongly believe it will be worth it for me.
Psychology has always fascinated me. Everything from dreams to drugs to Sigmund Freud (Frood). I believe I'll do more good as a therapist than I would as a graphic designer or an animator of some kind. Mental illness is something that I care very strongly about, and as a Psychologist, I would actually be making an effort to help those people who are suffering from them.

I'm truly doing it for the love of Psychology. Yes, I really am so passionate that I would dedicate my life to it.

So, unfortunately for the few who enjoy my art: My days as an artist are coming to an eventual end. I'll probably still do a little bit of art on the side, but I am no longer seeking it as a career option.

Thank you for supporting me. I appreciate every little bit of it.

2 comments:

  1. This makes a lot of sense. In fact, now that I think of it, I can't believe you hadn't thought of this earlier. Cuz you really seem to like psychology. XD You're like, the only person I've met (other than me) who actually thinks personality types are interesting.

    And to be honest, I'm kind of relieved that you're not going into art, because I don't want you to be a hobo. XD And it really stresses you out, it seems. Art is just so much better as a casual hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd actually thought of it over a year ago, but back then I didn't know as much about Psych as I do now. I just wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. c:
    Personality types FTW~

    I won't be a hobo. :]
    You're not supposed to have your hobby as a job because then you have a jobby and that's no good. :C
    Basically, your "escape" basically becomes what stresses you out, resulting in not having a hobby and being stressed out constantly. D: No bueno.

    ReplyDelete